Workboots Review is reader supported. We may earn money when you click on links in our articles. This comes at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
If you work on your feet, you know the tradeoff: you want sturdy shoes to protect your feet, but you don’t want to lug around heavy weight on your feet. Even an extra pound really can matter when you are on your feet or walk 15,000+steps in a day.
Luckily, some of the best work boots for men are surprisingly light as well. You can even find steel toe boots in this category – though they will always weigh a bit more than their soft toe cap competitors, they don’t have to weigh like they are made of steel.
Our Picks For The Top Comfortable Work Boots In 2021
|1||Wolverine Men's Raider - Light Steel Toe Work Boot||Wolverine||98|
|2||Timberland PRO Men's Titan 6-Inch - Safety-Toe Light Work Boots||Timberland PRO||97|
|3||Golden Fox Men's Moc Toe - Soft Toe Light Weight Industrial Construction Work Boots||Golden Fox||93|
|4||Skechers Men's 76987 Clan - Lightweight Waterproof Work Boots||Skechers||92|
|5||Caterpillar Men's Hydraulic Mid Cut - Lightweight Steel Toe Work Boots||Caterpillar||94|
|6||Thorogood Men's Heritage 6-Inch - Light-weight Work Boots||Thorogood||95|
|7||Rocky Men's C4T - Tactical Light Work Boot||Rocky||97|
|8||Carhartt Men's Lite WT - Lightweight Hiking Style Mid Work Boot||Carhartt||96|
|9||Ever Boots Men's Tank - Affordable Lightweight Insulated Work Boots||Ever Boots||95|
|10||Magnum Men's Precision - Utra Lite Composite Toe Work Boot||Magnum||96|
|11||Vivobarefoot Men's Tracker - Minimalist Lightweight Boot||Vivobarefoot||95|
|12||Timberland PRO Men's Linden - Alloy Toe Light Work Boot||Timberland PRO||96|
|13||Stanley Men's Dredge - Lightweight and Durable Work Boot||Stanley||96|
|14||Carhartt Men's Caswedge - Casual Lightweight work Boot||Carhartt||96|
|15||Condor Men's Idaho - Steel toe Lightweight Work Boot||Condor||96|
|16||Tactical Research Men's Belleville TR960z - Lightweight Tactical Boots||Tactical Research||93|
Our Reviews Of The Best Available Lightweight Boots
Check out our hand-picked work boots that are light on your feet:
You need to wear work boots for safety, but now you can wear them for comfort as well. We’ve rated the Wolverine Raider the Overall Best Lightweight Workboots because it’s near the top in almost every category. This light steel toe boot by Wolverine is an exceptionally comfortable work boot that can be worn every day. Look good and be safe when you’re out on the job. Plus, they are waterproof as well.
It’s not the absolute lightest pair, but at 2 pounds per boot it’s easy on your legs. If you are most concerned with having the lightest pair, look farther down the list – for everyone else it’s a great choice. Note: This boot does come in a soft toe model as well – make sure you are buying the boots with the feature you want.
- The extraordinary rubber PU outsole is very tough and lightweight and gives an ‘Athletic Feel’.
- This full grain leather boot provides great stability with a shaft measuring up to 5.5 inches from the arch.
- Moisture-managing mesh linings.
- Removable insoles allow you to help keep odor down and provide arch support customization.
- This specific model comes with composite safety toes.
The Timberland Pro line of boots are famous for their reliability and practical design. The company continues this tradition with the Titan model. The Titan has been made to offer a lightweight superior fit for extra comfort.
- Weight: Only 1.625 per boot pounds for a boot size 10, width W.
- You’ll keep your feet cool and dry with the Agion treatment.
- An Outlast Adaptive Comfort footbed cover regulates the temperature inside the shoe.
- A Mesh antimicrobial lining for odor control and reducing moisture.
- This boot offers Electrical Hazard Protection.
- The boot comes with the Timberland PRO rubber outsole that is a slip, oil, and abrasion-resistant.
- Weight: Only 1.375 pounds for a boot size 10.
- The Golden Fox is an excellent choice for a lightweight work boot for men, withstanding harsh working conditions, these boots will give you all-day comfort and durability.
Made with oiled full-grain upper leather for Softness and Comfort.
- Double Stitching on the toe area for durability.
- These Boots are Oil and Slip Resistant with the addition of the Rubberlon outsole.
- The Lightweight Wedge Sole Cushion is removable for extra cushioning and convenience.
- The Mesh lining and Pig Skin Collar will keep your feet warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather.
A stylish mid-high top work boot that is lightweight providing all-day support and comfort.
- The Padded collar and Gusset tongue with the soft fabric lining provides superb comfort and support for your feet.
- Waterproof treated suede and synthetic and fabric upper to keep your feet dry and well ventilated.
- A Shock absorbing supportive midsole and Cushioned removable comfort insole for extra comfort and convenience.
- The Composite Toe front with stitching and overlay accents offer extra protection and a stylishly rugged look.
The Caterpillar new Men Hydraulic Mid Cut is a lightweight safety toe boot made from high-quality, durable materials.
- The leather upper is matched with moisture-wicking Taibrelle linings to keep you odor-free and dry.
- These steel toe boots offer ample room in the toe box area – something many other steel-toed boots struggle to provide.
- With some routine maintenance, this durable boot should last you for many years to come.
- These are perfect summer work boots, made from quality, black oil-tanned leather.
- Featuring a well-engineered composite shank and Cotton drill vamp lining for comfort and protection.
- The Removable Insoles on top of the Poron 4000 Comfort Cushion gives you advanced comfort and support with excellent shock absorbency.
- This boot is constructed using Goodyear Storm Welt technology which is considered the best method of footwear construction today.
You’ll find no metal in these men’s work boots.
- Uppers made from combination of Leather and fabric that are both breathable and lightweight.
- Better grip and traction on almost any surfaces is achieved via the rubber sole.
- The boot measures 7 inches, with a 2.5-inch heel and a one-inch platform.
- This is one of the best choices for military and law enforcement activities. It’s featured as one of the Best Tactical Boots.
You can work with confidence and comfort in the Carhartt Lite work boot which is constructed from lightweight and breathable materials with superior durability.
- Weight: Only 1.6 pounds for a boot size 11.5, width D.
- The leather and Nylon uppers are flexible and breathable to keep your feet ultra-dry and comfortable.
- The CMEVA midsole delivers excellent shock absorption as well as superior comfort and support.
- The Carhartt Lite is constructed using the finest materials with Cement Construction methods making them extremely durable and flexible with a lighter weight.
- A Storm Defender waterproof and breathable membrane are used to ensure 100% waterproofing on these boots without substituting breathability.
The Ever Boots tank model is very lightweight and insulated work boots for colder weather conditions, Ever Boots are also a more affordable work boot brand that does not compromise on quality or durability.
- The uppers are manufactured from durable and comfortable leather with convenient speed lacing hooks and a back loop for a fast and easy fit.
- The insole is well cushioned and comfortable as well as removable allowing you the use of your own orthotics.
- The Ever Boot Tank is constructed using the tough and durable Goodyear Welt Construction method.
- The outsoles on these work boots are made from slip-resistant rubber.
The Magnum Precision is one of the lightest work boots you will find with the added protection of a composite toe. This work boot is also available in many neutral color designs to choose from.
- The uppers are constructed of high-quality durable leather with a breathable waterproof membrane to keep your feet dry and well ventilated.
- The tongue and collar are padded for a snug and comfortable fit.
- The composite safety toe provides ample protection while still remaining lightweight.
- The durable rubber outsole is oil and slip-resistant ensuring that you stay well-grounded on your feet even in the slipperiest of conditions.
- This work boot is comfortable and lightweight and suitable for almost any work environment.
- Manufactured from rich and lightweight leather.
- Metal eyelets for a stunning appearance and great fit.
- A full waterproof Hydroguard lining.
- Naturally flexible while remaining tough and durable.
- The Dri-Lex lining wicks away moisture for great inner conditions.
- Multi-directional V-Teeth on the outsole ensures excellent performance on wet, muddy and steep terrains.
- Alloy Toe Work Boot.
- Hiker-style work boot in cement construction.
- Mesh Lining
- Mesh lining with antimicrobial treatment for odor control.
- Fiberglass shank for structural support.
For soft and lightweight comfort you should look no further than the Stanley Dredge, tough yet superbly comfortable and supportive.
- Soft, lightweight, and durable full-grain leather uppers lined with mesh and featuring a heel counter.
- The direct-attached PU injected outsole and midsole are slip, acid and oil resistant, while the outsole is correspondingly non-marking.
- EVA in the midsole offers outstanding shock absorbency capabilities.
- Inside there is a soft and plush EVA insole that is removable.
Tough, but plushly cushioned for comfort, and oh so lightweight. The Carhartt Caswedge feels like a dream on your feet, even though performing like a pro.
- Comfortable and tough leather uppers.
- A soft and well-cushioned insole.
- The outsole is durable and slip-resistant, manufactured from thick rubber.
- A casual work boot, without the fuss for less harsh work environments.
The Condor Idaho offers you an eight-inch shaft for full protection, with lightweight comfort and extreme durability.
- Genuine Nubuck leather uppers of premium quality, with a smooth and soft feel.
- A lightweight, shielding ASTM rated steel toe.
- The outsole is bonded directly to the upper part of the boot, to create an inseparable bond.
- The midsole is ultra-cushioned and flexible for support and comfort.
- A removable PU insole reduces the impact on your feet and prevents foot fatigue.
- Available in wider widths for all foot shapes, types, and conditions.
- A thermoplastic PU outsole that is slip, oil and abrasion-resistant, while still being flexible and supportive.
- Extremely lightweight construction.
- Available in both black and tan color options.
The tactical research TR Boots are very lightweight, and stylish boots made for comfort and elegance.
- Weight: Only 1.5 pounds for a boot size 10.5
- A comfortable boot for long days wear.
- These Boots are very durable and perfect for harsh working environments.
- Well-suited footwear for mechanical, electrical, and industrial work.
- A lightweight boot that will reduce stress and strain on your lower limbs and feet.
Advantages of Buying Lightweight Safety Work Boots
While a pair of low-weight workboots can take a load off your legs, there are plenty of other benefits you’ll get from wearing them at work. Here are just a few:
- You don’t have to sacrifice safety for lower weight. There are steel toe boots available for age-old foot protection – or you can buy composite toe work boots for good protection and true low-wight. Both styles of safety toe boot give you improved protection against heavy loads and falling objects.
- You’ll find models designed with water-resistant/waterproof and abrasion-proof materials for durability and all-day foot dryness.
- Just like heavier boots, you can keep your feet warm during colder weather with lighter pairs of the best work boots. Strong thin insulation material will provide heat retention and keep moisture out.
- As you would expect, you won’t have to give up comfort when trading down in weight. Some people say a lighter boot is the best anti-fatigue technology you can get in footwear. Most great boots give you an option to put in your own insoles for customization based on your arch support needs. You can also get soft toe boots which won’t confine your toes as much if you don’t need the extra protection.
Lightweight Work Boots Improve Performance
Lightweight work boots put much less strain and stress on your feet than their heavier counterparts.
When you are moving around and on your feet for many hours boots that are too heavy can cause your muscles in your feet and lower limbs to become overworked and tired, resulting in sore and stiff legs and feet at the end of the day.
With work boots that are more lightweight, you will be able to move around with ease, and your feet and lower limbs will be less tired and stiff at the end of the day.
Benefits of Wearing Lightweight Work Boots
People who work in an industry where they are on their feet for most of the day or those who are doing a lot of walking or climbing will reap the most benefits.
Lightweight boots are also great to have when you are working in very hot weather conditions as they tend to be more breathable and cooler to wear.
Importance of Lightweight Work Boot
When you work on your feet all day particularly moving around, walking, running, and climbing in a heavy-duty work environment, comfort and lightweight in a work boot are crucial.
A work boot that is made from lightweight materials can still offer the same safety and durability features as its heavier counterparts.
A lightweight work boot is easier to move around with and allows for faster movement as well as preventing foot fatigue.
A work boot that is waterproof shock absorbing with good ankle support and has flexible and lightweight construction will provide you with the best comfort and protection available.
Necessary Features in a Work Boot
Your work boots are the most essential on the job tool that you have when you work in a hazardous environment. An industrial work boot does not just keep your feet safe and protected from the dangers that you face in your work environment but also keeps your feet comfortable and well supported so that you can perform your work tasks with comfort, security, and confidence.
When choosing a lightweight and comfortable work boot, you also need to consider the protection and durability features that are required for your specific occupation and work environment.
A metatarsal guard is a protective guard located on the top of the foot as an extension of the steel toe protecting yours against heavy falling objects. The metatarsal guard can be built in the boot or purchased externally and strapped on.
Steel or Composite Toe
A steel toe is heavier in weight but provides better protection against falling objects, compression, and cutting hazards. The composite toe also provides protection against these hazards but is much lighter in weight and cannot withstand as much force as a steel toe.
Electrical Hazard Protection
Some work boots have the added feature of providing protection against electrocution from electrical hazards in the workplace or by preventing static build-up that can cause an electrical spark.
Most work boots are waterproof to protect your feet from becoming wet when you work in wet or muddy conditions such as in outdoor occupations or on construction sites.
The sole of your work boot needs to be durable and able to withstand the elements of your work environment. A slip and oil-resistant rubber outsole is usually your best bet, although there are also chemical and heat resistant outsoles available. Outsole made from ethylene-vinyl acetate or thermal polyurethane tends to be more lightweight while the rubber outsole is more durable and provides better traction but is a bit heavier.
The way your work boot is constructed and the quality of the materials used to construct the boot will relate directly to the durability of the boot and how long it will last.
There are two construction methods that you need to be aware of;
- Cements Construction.
- Goodyear Welt Construction.
Shock absorbency and a comfortable fit in a work boot are your basic comfort features although some work boots have a cushioned insole or EVA midsole for better support and comfort. A moisture-wicking lining and breathability characteristics are also desirable in a work boot to keep your feet dry and cool in warmer conditions whereas insulation is needed for work in extreme cold weather conditions.
These are the main features to consider in a good work boot, choosing a work boot made from more lightweight material such as a non-rubber sole, composite toe, and synthetic materials will make your work boot much lighter in weight.
Lightweight Work Boots Questions And Answers
What are the best lightweight work boots?
There is not a single pair of lightweight work boots that is considered to be the “best.” Keep in mind that finding the perfect or best pair will always be dependent on both your personal preferences and needs.
When looking for the best work boots, you should consider: 1)the material they are made of, 2)the fit, comfort, style, and 3) overall quality and design.
However, here are some of our listed options of today’s best-selling lighter-weight work boots:
Wolverine® Men’s Raider Light Steel Toe Work Boot
- These boots feature impressive durability with their uppers that are crafted from premium leather.
- The pair is built with high-traction and heavy grip against varying surfaces as they come with sturdy yet lightweight PU outsoles.
- Among the pair’s notable comfort features include removable well-cushioned footbeds and moisture-wicking mesh linings.
Timberland PRO® Men’s Titan 6-Inch Safety-Toe Light Work Boots
- These safety-toe boots are impressively lightweight at roughly 1.6 pounds for a boot that is in size ten and W width.
- These boots boast unbeatable comfort in many different ways as they are designed with well-cushioned Outlast Adaptive Comfort footbeds along with air-mesh linings that keep the feet feeling cool and dry all day.
- The pair comes with high-traction synthetic outsoles that are Goodyear welt constructed for added strength and durability.
Golden Fox® Men’s Moc Toe Soft Toe Light Weight Industrial Construction Work Boots
- The pair is very impressively lightweight as they weigh 1.375 pounds for a pair of size 10 boots.
- These boots are not only lightweight but are also extremely durable as they are guaranteed to withstand the harsh demands of work with their leather uppers that crafted through Goodyear Welt construction along with double stitching toe area patterns.
- These lightweight work boots are fit for use against varying surfaces as they are engineered with oil and slip-resistant Rubberlon outsoles.
Where can I find lightweight work boots?
Lightweight work boots, just like any other footwear, can be found in a variety of physical stores around your local area. A wide range of shoe stores and footwear shops carry this type of work boots.
However, if you are looking for a more convenient way of buying these boots, you can do so without leaving the comfort of your own home. Lightweight work boots can also often be bought online through a brand’s official e-commerce website (such as Red Wing or American Heritage) or on third-party online selling platforms like Amazon. The latter has a wide selection of lightweight work boots to choose from.
What are lightweight work boots with composite toes?
Here are our picks for the best light work boots with composite toes:
Skechers® Men’s 76987 Clan Lightweight Waterproof Work Boots
- These boots come with a very soft yet durable mix of waterproof-treated suede and textile uppers.
- The pair speaks out unmatched comfort as they are designed with padded collars and gusset tongues using extra-soft fabric linings.
- These lightweight composite toe work boots are also equipped with shock-absorbing midsoles along with cushioned removable insoles for that added comfort.
- The pair comes with composite toe caps and intricate overlay accents for that rugged yet lightweight added protection.
Magnum® Men’s Precision Ultra Lite Composite Toe Boot For Work
- These boots are crafted with reliable durability as they come with high-quality, waterproof leather uppers.
- The pair is impressively lightweight while providing full and reliable protection as they are engineered with sturdy, composite toe caps.
- These lightweight composite toe boots are also fit for use on all types of terrains and surfaces as they are engineered with rubber outsoles that are oil and slip-resistant.
What are the best affordable light work boots?
The best lightweight breathable work boots often come with hefty price tags but that doesn’t always have to be the case. Here are a few of our picks for the most affordable lightweight work boots in today’s market:
Vivobarefoot® Men’s Tracker Minimalist Lightweight Boot
- These boots are impressively lightweight yet durable as they come with breathable leather uppers.
- The pair is fit for use under wet conditions and work environments as they are designed with the brand’s full-waterproof Hydroguard linings.
- These light boots are also built to be tough and durable all while keeping the feet comfortable as they come with Dri-Lex lining and flexible cushioned insoles.
Stanley® Men’s Dredge Lightweight and Durable Work Boot
- These lightweight work boots are designed to be sleek and breathable as they are crafted with full-grain leather uppers that are lined with lightweight mesh material.
- The boots are fit for use under tough working conditions as they are designed with direct-attached, high-traction PU injected slip, acid,oil-resistant, non-marking outsoles.
- The pair is also extremely comfortable as they come with soft and plush removable EVA insoles along with shock-absorbent midsoles.
Condor® Men’s Idaho Steel Toe Lightweight Work Boot
- These lightweight comfortable work boots boast sleek aesthetics that are also extremely durable as they are crafted with genuine nubuck leather uppers.
- The pair is built to provide impressive traction and grip against a wide variety of surfaces as they are engineered with direct-bonded slip, oil, water, and abrasion-resistant PU outsoles.
- These lightweight workboots are also built to provide full protection without the added weight as they come with ASTM rated steel toe caps.