We all understand that the day to day tasks of a Police officer is full of potential dangers that can be life-threatening. Any law enforcement officer is in harm’s way on a daily basis, not to mention long hours actively on their feet.
In the end, the last thing any police Officer needs is a shoe standing in their way, therefore the right choice in footwear for this occupation is absolutely critical.
Police Work Boots for Comfort and Protection
A good work boot in the law enforcement industry should provide three things, COMFORT, DURABILITY, PROTECTION;
Working long hours actively on your feet can surely take its toll, so you will want a shoe that provides a comfortable fit and good cushioning. Shock absorbency is likewise very important to protect your feet against impact when running or jumping.
Other features such as a waterproof membrane, moisture-wicking lining and odor control can help to keep your feet dry and fresh inside out, and will prevent foot conditions and bacteria from developing.
In very hot weather conditions a breathable and well-ventilated boot will be quite handy, whereas you will need to look at some form of insulation when I come to extremely cold weather conditions.
Police officers come into contact with many hazards on a daily basis, slippery, oily and wet surfaces, sharp objects that can cause punctures and uneven terrain.
For all of these, you need a durable slip resistant outsole with a puncture-proof plate, and good ankle support to prevent injuries.
Water seeping in, heat, chemicals, and abrasion can likewise be a factor, therefore tough and durable upper materials that are resistant against these elements is a good option.
Then there is also the risk of heavy falling objects and compression hazards, for this a safety capped toe, and a metatarsal guard can come in quite handy.
Last but not least, you want a good quality shoe that will last. Investing in a quality brand with durable construction and materials is always a good option when you want your shoes to last. Look for quality Goodyear Welt or Cement construction, along with strong materials such as Nylon and leathers, and a good Vibram rubber outsole.
Some Common Foot Problems Faced by Police Officers
Police officers face the risk of ankle and foot injuries because of running and in some cases climbing on uneven terrain that can cause them to twist or bend their ankles. Heavy falling objects and compression hazards can similarly cause injuries.
Then there are factors such as fires a, chemicals, extreme heat and cold conditions, puncture hazards and slip and trip hazards that could all cause injuries.
Besides injuries foot fatigue, chafing, blisters, wet foot conditions, and sore and achy feet are all common conditions many police officers face.
Choosing the Best Police Work Boot
So, all in all, here are some good tips to follow when choosing the best work boot, as a police officer;
Look for durable and waterproof leathers or nylon for the upper’s construction, and a durable and slip resistant rubber outsole with lug pattern for better grip and traction.
An EVA midsole that provides good shock absorbency and cushioning is your best bet. Then also, you can look at a puncture plate in the midsole or outsole for protection against sharp objects.
Outsole and Heel
A Vibram rubber outsole is absolutely the best choice you can go with, although there are some other excellent options. Rubber is your best bet in an outsole with lug patterns for better grip and good slip and oil resistance.
The most important factor of any great shoe, is the FIT, make sure your work boot fits snugly, but does not squeeze your feet, or slips.
- Steel, alloy or composite protective toe.
- Metatarsal Guard.
- Puncture Plate.
- Heat resistance.
- Oil, Chemical and Abrasion resistant outsole.
- Slip resistance.
- Fire resistance.
Reviews: Best Work boots for Police Work
The Danner DGA is an 8 Inch Police Tactical Work Boot, ideal for fieldwork in harsh terrain.
- Durable and lightweight Nubuck leather and 1000 Denier Nylon uppers for the best in abrasion resistance, scuff resistance as well as excellent breathability.
- The ideal combination for cold and wet weather along with the Gore-Tex waterproof breathable lining.
- A variable lacing system for a customized fit when you choose the ankle hook that fits your best.
- The Lace Garage prevents loose laces from dragging or snagging, while the top tongue has a stretch fabric pocket for you to tuck your laces into.
- The Danner descended outsole manufactured from Vibram rubber, with multi-directional, lug patterns, offers excellent traction while allowing for quick acceleration, and braking in all directions.
- The ideal police work boot for fast chases and heavy-duty wear.
More of a Military styled work boot, but with some unique comfort and durability features making this boot ideal for on the field Police work.
- Features a unique and protective composite shank for stability and protection that will not set off any security alarms
- Web-Like leather overlays on the Nylon uppers with a notched lace up shaft for a durable and comfortable fit.
- A mid-calf shaft for ankle support and protection.
- The Vibram rubber outsole is highly slip and oil resistant.
What I love about the Lightweight and highly durable Metro Air, is not only is it so exceptionally lightweight, but it will likewise, not set off metal detector alarms, which can come in quite handy when you are in a hurry.
One of the top choices when it comes to Police field work boots, this one will most definitely not disappoint.
- 70 % leather Nylon and 30 % leather upper construction for a flexible, lightweight and comfortable fit that will keep you light on your feet.
- The visible heel air cell construction ensures excellent impact absorption, and comfort, which is great for jumps and running.
- The uppers are double stitched with a 3-ply bonded nylon thread to improve durability.
- A polishable leather toe that looks neat and professional.
- The custom molded Phylon EVA midsole ensure pure lightweight comfort and support that cradles your feet all day.
- The Nylon shank prevents foot fatigue, adds stability, and on the plus side is airport and security gate friendly.
One of the top-selling tactical boots, and a highly favored brand among many police officers and security force staff. The Maelstrom, Tac Force is available in both a black or tan color option with breathable nylon and leather uppers construction, in an ankle boot.
- These tactical boots are available in black or tan color options, with or without waterproof and insulation characteristics.
- Inside there is a comfortable moisture wicking lining and supportive footbed.
- Polishable full grain leather and nylon uppers for a more professional look, and a more breathable and lightweight work boot.
- A removable shock absorbing and well-cushioned insert for all-day comfort.
- The padded heel and tongue offer a more comfortable fit, while the semi-rigid toe and heel reinforcements retain the shape of the boot.
- The outsole is specially engineered to provide maximum grip and traction on various terrains.
Yet another superb choice from Danner, The Tachyon GTX offers a flexible, heavy-duty and waterproof fit, with a slip resistant outsole, ideal for out on the field and high-speed chases.
- 100% tough and durable leather upper construction and 500 Denier Nylon construction, along with a breathable waterproof Gore-Tex lining.
- The toe is polishable and reinforced.
- A speed lacing system with durable brass wear offers a superior fit.
- The Danner tachyon slip-resistant rubber outsole has pentagonal lugs to offer you excellent surface contact for fast movements.
- A comfortable and highly durable work boot at 8 inches for better ankle support and stability.
Under Armour is a very popular and well-known brand of tough and long-lasting, comfort footwear, ideal for tactical and athletic purposes.
A comfortable and lightweight ankle work boot ideal for a long day on your feet.
- Features specialized athletic upper construction, and materials in textile and synthetic leather that are breathable, lightweight and comfortable.
- A Micro G EVA midsole for all-day cushioned comfort and support.
- The lightweight TU shank offers just the right amount of midfoot support and rigidity.
- A high traction rubber outsole with a lug tread for superior grip on a variety of surfaces.
- Available in a few color options, including a camo print design, to choose from.
There are so many men and women who risk their lives to protect us from harm, and as a society, we are thankful for them. These public servants venture into desperate situations and burning buildings to shield us from injury.
Even when they are carrying out the more mundane facets of their work, however, they can spend a lot of time on their feet. Foot pain in firefighters and police officers is a very common aspect of their jobs.
Index Table: The Best Work Boots for Police Officers
|1||Danner Men's DFA - Tactical Boot for Police Officers||Danner||95|
|2||Magnum Elite Men's Spider - Military Police Work Boot||Magnum Elite||96|
|3||Original S.W.A.T Men's Metro Air - Tactical Police Boot||Original S.W.A.T||95|
|4||Maelstrom Men's Tac Force - Military Work Boot for Police Work||Maelstrom||97|
|5||Danner Men's Tachyon GTX - Tactical Work Boot for Police Wear||Danner||97|
|6||Under Armour Men's Valsetz RTS - Ankle Length Wide Police Boot||Under Armour||95|