Workboots Review is reader supported. We may earn money when you click on links in our articles. This comes at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
Have you been searching for a good pair of black combat boots?
Black Combat Boots have been a long part of the military.
These boots were originally designed to keep a soldier’s feet protected and fully supported during a combat training or tactical mission.
Fast forward to today and these boots now boast a wide selection of features that guarantee not only protection, but unbeatable comfort, durability, and functionality as well.
Advantages of Wearing A Good Pair of Black Combat Boots
Back in the day, the main purpose of the combat boots is to keep the feet of a soldier safe during combat.
The very first “combat boots” were believed to have been worn during the Classical Era whereas they are described to be heavy-soled sandal boots.
Essentially, wearing a good pair of black leather combat boots come with the following advantages:
- Lightweight, allowing the feet to move comfortably
- Durable enough to withstand heavy-duty and tough work conditions
- Energy-savvy which keeps the feet from feeling fatigues
- Lightweight, allowing the feet to move freely and comfortably
- AR670-1 and/pr AFI 36-2903-compliant, fit for military use
- Flame, heat, oil, slip, and abrasion-resistant, fit for use even under the most demanding environments
Features of Black Military Combat Boots
Black military combat boots continued to develop as centuries passed.
Some of today’s top pairs boast a wide range of features that are fit for use under varying tactical conditions and environments.
Below are some of the best features of a reliable pair of black military combat boots:
- Lightweight, which supports agility and flexibility
- Breathable, allowing the feet to stay comfortable all-day
- Waterproof, making them fit for use even in wet environments
- Provides good traction, keeping the feet planted on the ground even on slippery surfaces
- Sturdy, non-metallic construction, making them airport and security-friendly
Reviews: The Top Men’s Black Combat Boots
For the brave men in the military, a reliable, comfortable, and durable pair of black combat boots are crucial.
If you happen to be on the said field, then check out our handpicked list of the best black combat boots for men.
Opening the list is a pair of black combat boots from footwear giant Under Armour. The Men’s Stellar boasts durability, comfort, and functionality that are designed to meet the varying demands of the military and other tactical activities.
- Featuring unsurpassed breathability and durability, the Under Armour Men’s Stellar is crafted with DWR treated leather along with 900D nylon textiles.
- The boots boast heavy and extreme traction on all surfaces with their low profile, lugged rubber outsoles.
- The pair speaks out unbeatable support and protection with its molded EVA midsoles and reinforced thermoplastic urethane shanks.
- These boots also wick away moisture and keep the feet dry with its quick-dry minimalist design.
- The Men’s Stellar is a pair that is guaranteed to keep the development of unwanted odor and bacteria at bay with its anti-odor technology and Ortholite sock liners.
5.11 is a brand known for its wide selection of reliable tactical footwear. Among the brand’s top-performing and best-selling is the 5.11 Tactical ATAC Men’s 8”. These boots are specifically engineered to meet the demands of working in the military, law enforcement, and other tactical fields.
- The 5.11 Tactical ATAC is engineered to withstand tough conditions with its full-grain leather and nylon uppers.
- The boots are also crafted to be slip and oil-resistant, with their no-squeak rubber outsoles.
- The pair promises unbeatable and extreme comfort with its shock mitigation system and cushioned insoles.
- These boots are built to meet the demands of tactical operations as they are designed with covert tactical pockets and stay-tied sausage laces.
- Reliable and tailored to offer superior performance, the 5.11 Tactical ATAC is built with semi-rigid heels and non-metallic shanks.
Another on the list is a pair of black military combat boots from 5.11. The 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 1.0 Storm is engineered to perform well in varying operational and tactical environments. Supreme comfort, tactical readiness, and durability are among the top features of these black combat boots for men.
- The 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 1.0 Storm is a pair that boasts durability and breathability with uppers that are made with leather and fabric.
- These boots guarantee heavy traction and grip against varying surfaces with heavy-duty synthetic outsoles.
- The pair guarantees superior comfort and support with its shock mitigation system and full-length Ortholite footbeds.
- These men’s black combat boots are also fit for use under wet conditions as they boast the brand’s SlipStream waterproof system.
- The 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 1.0 Storm offers a very roomy fit and high interior volume with its PRO Fit construction.
Danner is known as among the market’s top manufacturers of reliable, functional, and durable tactical and combat boots. Among the brand’s best black combat boots is the Tachyon. An 8” duty boot, the pair is inspired by athletes, designed for duty, and proven to work well in the field.
- The Tachyon 8” is a boot that boasts breathable durability with its full-grain leather and 500D nylon uppers.
- These boots are engineered to provide heavy traction and grip against slippery surfaces with their slip-resistant, pentagonal lugged rubber outsoles.
- Boasting unbeatable comfort and protection against moisture, the boots are crafted with breathable GORE-TEX liners.
- Promising secure fit and laces that are always in place, the pair features the brand’s signature speed lace fastening system along with durable brass hardware.
- The Tachyon 8” provides just the right amount of protection with its shafts that measure around 9” from the arch.
Another on the list is a pair from Under Armour. A side-zip version of the Stellar Tactical boot, the Under Armour Men’s Stellar Tactical Side Zip is a breathable pair that is engineered to withstand varying terrains and work environments.
- The Under Armour Men’s Stellar Tactical Side Zip is a pair that boasts durability without compromising durability with its soft leather and 9D nylon textile uppers.
- The boots provide high traction, grip, and encompassed stability with rubber lug outsoles.
- The pair also provides unbeatable all-day protection and support with its molded EVA midsoles along with reinforced thermoplastic polyurethane shafts.
- These boots are also engineered to repel water with the brand’s UA Storm Technology.
- The Under Armour Men’s Stellar Tactical Side Zip is a boot that guarantees easy take on and off with its medial side zippers.
Bates is a brand that has been manufacturing some of the market’s best-performing tactical and military boots since 1885. Among the brand’s most notable pair of black combat boots is the Bates 11” Paratrooper.
- The Bates 11” Paratrooper features durability and a professional look with its leather uppers and polishable toe.
- The pair are also engineered to work well against all surfaces, providing heavy traction with its high-performance rubber outsoles.
- The boots also promise unmatched all-day comfort with its well-cushioned removable inserts.
- These black leather combat boots are also very easy to take on and off as they are constructed with nylon side zippers.
- The Bates 11” Paratrooper is built to perform and fit everyone as the pair even comes in extended sizes.
Next up on the list is yet another pair from Under Armour. The Under Armour Men’s Valsetz Military & Tactical Boot is a pair that features lightweight durability and breathability. Equipped for tactical missions, these men’s black combat boots are also resistant to abrasion.
- The Under Armour Men’s Valsetz is a pair of black military combat boots that boasts lightweight breathability without compromising durability with its synthetic leather and textile uppers.
- The pair also provides high traction on varying surfaces with its lug rubber outsoles.
- These boots are also engineered to provide outstanding support and stability using the brand’s UA ClutchFit ankle support system.
- The boots also ensure all-day comfort with their molded Ortholite antimicrobial sock liners.
- The Under Armour Men’s Valsetz is also very lightweight yet abrasion-resistant, all thanks to its welded polyurethane film that surrounds the uppers.
Rocky is a brand known for manufacturing durable, reliable, and heavy-duty military and tactical boots. The Rocky Men’s S2V is among the brand’s most sought-after pairs. This pair Berry compliant and fit for use in varying tactical missions.
- The Rocky Men’s S2V is built to showcase durability with its high-quality leather and 1000D Cordura uppers.
- The pair also guarantees heavy traction and grip against varying surfaces, as the outsoles are engineered with high-walled Vibram.
- These boots guarantee all-day comfort as the insoles feature perforated Air-Port cushioned footbeds.
- In terms of support and stability, this pair also meets all expectations as it is engineered with polyurethane midsoles and Roll-Stop ankle stability technology.
- The Rocky Men’s S2V is a boot built to withstand the toughest conditions as the pair boasts a triple stitched construction and is PTFE coated for flame-resistance.
Reviews: The Best Women’s Black Combat Boots
Of course, the ladies, too, deserve to have a reliable pair of black combat boots. May it be for use at work, for a tactical mission, or other purposes that call for a comfortable, durable pair of combat boots, below are our top picks black combat boots for women.
Topping the list of women’s black combat boots is a trusty pair from boot manufacturing giant 5.11. The 5.11 Women’s ATAC 6” Side Zip Boot is built to showcase toughness and durability.
- The 5.11 Women’s ATAC 6” Side Zip Boot is crafted to exhibit reliable durability and breathability with uppers that are made of full-grain leather and 840D nylon.
- The pair also boasts heavy traction that is perfect for use even on slippery terrains, all thanks to outsoles that are engineered with slip- and oil-resistant synthetic materials.
- These boots are created to provide all-day comfort and lightweight breathability with their full-length dual durometer Ortholite footbeds.
- The boots are also bound to give the feet more range of motion without sacrificing support as they carry the brand’s signature Achilles heel flex zone feature.
- The 5.11 Women’s ATAC 6” Side Zip Boot features reliable toughness and easy take on and off as it is Strobel constructed along with YKK side zippers.
Up in the list is a pair from long-time tactical boot manufacturer Bates. The Bates Women’s GX-8 is a pair built to withstand the tough demands of wet tactical environments.
- The Bates Women’s GX-8 combines breathability and durability with its mix of full-grain leather and performance nylon uppers.
- The pair is also suited for use on varying terrains, as it boasts heavy-duty rubber outsoles.
- In terms of comfort, these women’s black leather combat boots will not disappoint with their well-cushioned removable inserts.
- These boots are also meant to keep the feet cool and dry all-day with their breathable, moisture-wicking GORE-TEX membrane.
- The Bates Women’s GX-8 is a lightweight pair that is also airport and security-friendly as the boots are built using non-metallic materials.
Making it to the list is another pair from Bates. The Women’s 5” Enforcer Ultralit Sport Boot is a pair of black ankle combat boots built for wear in tough terrains.
- The Bates Women’s 5” Enforcer Ultralit Sport Boot is crafted to showcase toughness without compromising breathability with its perfect mix of full-grain leather and performance nylon uppers.
- The pair also provides heavy and high traction against slippery surfaces with its lightweight yet sturdy rubber outsoles.
- Speaking of comfort, the boots also boast removable cushioned insoles.
- These boots also boast excellent support and stability with lightweight, cushioned EVA midsoles.
- The Bates Women’s 5” Enforcer Ultralit Sport Boot delivers a full waterproof feature as the pair carries the brand’s proprietary Bates DRYGuard waterproofing membrane.
Making it in our top list of women’s black combat boots are the Under Armour Women’s Stellar. This pair is lightweight yet durable, making it a good fit for use in varying terrain and work conditions.
- The Under Armour Women’s Stellar boasts a light approach on breathability without compromising durability with its uppers that are crafted with a mix of leather and 900D nylon.
- Expect to get heavy and high traction from this pair as its outsoles are engineered using low profile lugged rubber.
- The boots speak unmatched comfort and support with their molded EVA midsoles.
- The pair also provides great support and protection with their reinforced thermoplastic urethane shanks.
- Lightweight and water-repellent, the Under Armour Women’s Stellar is equipped with the brand’s signature UA Storm Technology and a quick-dry minimalist design.
Again on the list is another pair from 5.11. The Women’s ATAC 2.0 8” is a boot that boasts a purpose-built construction that is perfect for tactical missions.
- The Women’s ATAC 2.0 8” features classic aesthetics along with durability with its uppers that are made with suede leather and 840D nylon.
- The boots provide excellent and heavy grip on varying surfaces as they boast slip and oil-resistant outsoles.
- These boots are also comfortable for use even for long hours as they are equipped with full-length dual durometer Ortholite footbeds.
- This pair also provides a snug and secure fit with its lace-up closure and YKK side zippers.
- The Women’s ATAC 2.0 8” is built for tactical use as it boasts the brand’s SlipStream waterproof membrane along with a discreet knife side pocket.
The Rocky Alpha Force Women’s Waterproof Public Service Boot is a lightweight pair that confines comfort, durability, and reliability with every use. Crafted for individuals working in public service, these boots tend to need a minimal break-in period.
- The Rocky Alpha Force Women’s Waterproof Public Service Boot exhibits classic aesthetics and durability with its full-grain leather uppers.
- The boots provide great traction and grip with their non-marking, oil and slip-resistant rubber outsoles.
- The pair also speaks out comfort with its open-celled, cushioned insoles.
- The Rocky Alpha Force Women’s Waterproof Public Service Boot is also fit for use under wet conditions as it is equipped with the brand’s signature Rocky® Waterproof construction.
Comparison Table: Men’s Black Combat Boots
|1||Under Armour Men's Stellar - Military and Tactical Boot||Under Armour||98|
|2||5.11 Men's Tactical ATAC - Jungle Military Combat Boot||5.11||97|
|3||5.11 Men's Tactical ATAC 1.0 - Military Storm Boots||5.11||97|
|4||Danner Men's Tachyon 8 - Duty Boot||Danner||96|
|5||Under Armour Men's Stellar - Tac Side Zip Sneaker||Under Armour||95|
|6||Bates Men's Paratrooper - Side Zip Boot||Bates||95|
|7||Under Armour Men's Valsetz - Military and Tactical Boot||Under Armour||94|
|8||Rocky Men's S2V - Work Boot||Rocky||93|
Comparison Table: The Best Women’s Black Combat Boots
|1||5.11 Women's ATAC 6in - Side Zip Boot||5.11||97|
|2||Bates Women's GX-8 - Side Zip Boot||Bates||96|
|3||Bates Women's Enforcer Ultralit - Sport Boot||Bates||96|
|4||Under Armour Women's Stellar - Military and Tactical Boot||Under Armour||98|
|5||5.11 Women's ATAC 2.0 - Military Combat Boot||5.11||95|
|6||Rocky Women's Alpha Force - Public Service Boot||Rocky||95|
Which Pair Of Black Combat Boots Is For You?
Whether you work in the military or just a tactical enthusiast, the best pair of black combat boots will surely take your feet to the right places. Equipped to withstand varying conditions, the right boots are sturdy, durable, lightweight, and reliable.
From our wide selection of reliable choices, which pair do you think fits your tactical needs the most?