Hunting has a very long history, according to some evidence found in Western Kenya hunting has been occurring for more than two million years already. Hunting is the activity of stalking and tracking down an animal and then killing it. Today hunting is either a sport or hobby to kill animals as trophy’s, or as an occupation to cull herds or to produce products to clients. In most countries, the best time is cold weather hunting – some areas of which can become freezing. Therefore you need to look for the warmest hunting boots that will keep you warm in cold weather and snow can come in quite handy.
Comparison Table for the Warmest Hunting Boots
|1||Northside Men's Prowler - Waterproof Insulated Warm Hunting Boot||Northside||92|
|2||Kamik Men's Hunting - Rubber Boot for Cold Weather||Kamik||93|
|3||Under Armor Men's UA Brow Tine - Comfortable Warm Hunting Boots||Under Armor||95|
|4||Bogs Men's Classic - High Break up Cold Weather Hunting Boots||Bogs||94|
|5||Lowa Men's Tibet GTX - Warmest Boots for Cold Weather Hunting||Lowa||97|
|6||LaCrosse Men's Alphaburly Pro - 18 Inch Extreme Weather Hunting Boot||LaCrosse||95|
|7||Rocky Men's Retraction - Cold Weather Hunting Boot||Rocky||95|
|8||Irish Setter Men's VaprTrek - Waterproof Winter Hunting Boot||Irish Setter||93|
Hunting as a Sport or Hobby
Hunting especially as a sport has developed a very bad reputation, for some people hunting implies killing animals for fun and disrespecting them. Today, however hunting as a sport or hobby is done within the boundaries of certain rules and regulations, and most hunters have respect for nature. Hunting can be done to obtain a trophy and the meat is prepared and used by the hunters many times, or it is sold.
Hunting as an Occupation
There are also hunters who hunt as an occupation. Some hunters hunt certain animals for displays in museums, another hunt for meat and byproducts to be sold to certain clients. There are hunters that are involved in culling of certain herds of animals that have become too large. Some hunters are involved with wildlife management they help to relocate animals and to do research on animals in order to manage disease and prevent the extinction of certain breeds.
Choosing a Hunting Boot
Insulation is the most important characteristic of a Hunting Boot for cold weather conditions that affects how warm the boot will be. How you will be using the Hunting boot and how low the temperatures are in the environment that you are going to be hunting will determine the level and type of insulation that you will require. Your body makeup and foot condition will also affect the level of insulation; some people have feet that tend to be warm in general while other have feet that that get cold easily.
Thinsulate is one of the best choices in insulation materials because it provides the ideal warmth without the excessive weight and bulk. Thinsulate insulation is measured in grams which do not refer to the weight of the material but rather the form of grams per square meter of the fabric.
Insulation functionality can be broken down into three levels;
- Uninsulated up to 200grams for early season and high activity levels.
- Insulated between 400 and 800 grams the most popular catergory covering fall hunting situations.
- Insulated at 1000 grams and more for much colder winter conditions and more sedentary activities.
Any good Hunting Boot particularly for cold weather should also be waterproof as snow and water can cause frostbite as well as infection if your feet should get wet.
Durning a hunting trip you will be walking through wet grass, puddles mud and in extreme weather conditions even snow and wet feet on a cold day can be very uncomfortable.
The most common form of waterproofing in a Hunting Boot is a waterproof membrane that is sewn into the lining on the inside of the boot and the outer shell. Gore-Tex is the most popular premium waterproof and breathable membrane that is used to construct a waterproof boot in the footwear industry. Gore-Tex does not just keep water out from the outside but is also breathable keeping moisture out from the inside and your feet well ventilated and dry.
Hunting Boot Designs and Styles
There are many different styles of Hunting boot available on the market with different functions and characteristics.
Hunting boots are divided into three basic categories;
Upland boots are lightweight, comfortable and have a soil shedding lightweight lug sole. This type of boot is suitable for moderate terrain for Hunters and Bird Watchers that put on quite a few miles and need less weight and protection. These boots can be either insulated or uninsulated for warmer weather conditions.
Multipurpose Hunting Boots
A Multipurpose Hunting Boot is a boot that will cover most hunting activities and is ideal for both big-game and upland hunting. This Hunting Boot is durable, long lasting and provides great traction on many different surfaces. Multipurpose hunting boots have different levels of insulation and different features to choose from; they are also made for the more tough terrain.
High Country Boots
The High Country Hunting Boot is meant for going after big game such as Elk or Deer that are found in rugged and steep terrain that requires extra support, durability and slips resistance from footwear. This category of boots is made for the harshest environments and the most demanding and high elevation hunts and tough situations. They provide extreme durability and the best support for your feet and ankles along with insulation options and waterproofing.
Some models of Hiking Boots also make excellent Hunting Boots. Hiking boots are shorter and lighter in weight, and they can improve your mobility and strength in the field while still providing similar levels of protection and durability.
Don’t forget hikers
Our discussion has revolved around hunting boots, but Cabela’s has an excellent selection of boots in their hiking selection that serve well for hunting. These hiking boots are especially good for early season archery hunts, such as bugling elk. These shorter, lighter boots may help you succeed in the field by improving your mobility, as well as your strength to stay in the hunt.
An Overboot is a boot insulator for sedentary hunting designed to provide insulation in extreme cold weather conditions.
Rubber Hunting Boots
For hunting in muddy, wet or sloppy conditions such as marshes, creeks, and swamps, a rubber hunting boot is your best option. Rubber Hunting Boots are scent free, 100% waterproof and can also be insulated along with many other features making them perfect for wet and cold conditions.
Features of the Best Cold Weather Hunting Boots
Hunting requires you to spend quite a bit of time in nature and rough terrain, almost the same as hiking. So if you are going to be out there trekking and hunting you need to be prepared for a lot of walking and climbing on rough and uneven surfaces, sometimes in snow and very cold weather. Therefore you will need a durable and sturdy pair of boots that can hold up and still remain comfortable.
A few important features of a good pair of hunting boots are;
- Insulation, for a full day in the cold or snow you will need a hunting boot that is well insulated to keep your feet dry and protected.
- Waterproofing, because you are going to be walking through wet marshes, ponds and creeks and even snow in some cases. So to avoid infection and frostbite, it is a good idea to have hunting boots that are entirely waterproof.
- The outsole of the boot is very important as it must provide excellent grip and traction on uneven, wet and slippery surfaces as well as be durable and leave minimal scent behind.
- Good cushioning, for comfort and support when you are on your feet for many hours and cannot afford the distraction of sore feet.
- A lightweight camouflaged or brown material for the uppers works the best although good quality leather is more durable and has it advantages too.
- Breathability, for keeping your feet dry and free from sweat and odor that can accumulate because of the constant activity for long periods of time.
The Warmest Hunting Boot Reviews
Here are some of the top choices of warm hunting boots for 2016 that are very popular and reliable;1
- Constructed from leather and textile materials that are comfortable and durable.
- A durable rubber sole for good grip on slippery surfaces.
- The front lace closure ensures a perfect fit.
- Insulated to keep your feet warm in extreme weather.
- A mid-Calf boot that will protect and support your ankles and feet.
- Completely waterproof, so your feet stay dry even in wet conditions.
- The entire boot is made out of waterproof rubber.
- The 8mm removable Thermal Guard offers insulation in cold weather and keeps your feet cool in warmer weather.
- An adjustable waterproof nylon collar around the calves to keep all dampness and cold wind out.
- The rubber sole offers excellent grip and traction and prevents slips in a slick and wet terrain.
- Highly durable and long lasting even with hard use.
- Constructed from quality waterproof full-grain leather that is combined with abrasion resistant textile materials for support and protection.
- The 800 g of Primaloft insulation is lightweight, waterproof, breathable and will keep your feet ultra warm.
- A 100% waterproof GORE-TEX lining will allow sweat to escape to keep your feet completely dry.
- The added exclusive UA Scent control technology will last much longer to keep you undetected.
- An adjustable speed lacing system for a fast custom fit.
- Available in different color designs.
- The outsole offers good grip when you need it the most.
- Manufactured from durable waterproof rubber.
- A non-slip, non-marking and self-cleaning rubber sole for excellent grip on slippery surfaces.
- A four way stretch inner bootie for warmth and comfort.
- Knee high to prevent dampness from entering.
- Camouflaged patterning all over the boot.
- The insole offers anti-odor protection.
- Available in two designs.
- Made from the finest quality, durable Nubuck leather.
- A contoured and padded tongue and collar for a comfortable fit.
- The seamless GORE-TEX lining will keep your feet dry and cushioned all day.
- The perforated interior lining improves breathability and keeps your feet fresh during long treks.
- A FlexFit design to improve natural ankle flexing and give a better heel fit.
The LaCrosse Alphaburly is a Rubber Hunting boot that guarantees comfort in a more personalized fit.
- The Alphaburly is constructed from a more natural rubber compound that is flexible and easy to take get on and off.
- An embossed neoprene liner in the inside ensures good air circulation and the adjustable neoprene gusset improves stability.
- Neoprene also has natural insulation properties for warm comfort that is lightweight and breathable.
- The 1600 grams of Thinsulate insulation keeps you ultra warm in sub-zero weather conditions.
- A comfortable cushioned EVA midsole ensures proper shock absorption and support.
- A durable and thick outsole provides excellent grip on slippery surfaces.
The all purpose durable and protective Rocky retraction Hunting boot is comfortable, camouflaged and well insulated with breathable Gore-Tex
- Full grain leather and nylon uppers in a mossy oak camouflage design with a Gore-Tex waterproof lining that is breathable and comfortable for all-day dryness and protection.
- The 800grams of Thinsulate insulation provides excellent warmth in cold weather conditions.
- A strobe cement construction method has been used with a nylon shank for improved stability and durability.
- The comfortable memory foam footbed ensures excellent support and returns energy to the feet.
- A thick rubber outsole provides long lasting traction and durability.
A comfortable and camouflaged winter hunting boot the Irish Setter VaprTrek is lightweight and durable without sacrificing on comfort.
- A lightweight ankle high hunting boot that is ideal for early season hunting.
- The Ultradry waterproofing system with added breathability and keeps your feet dry and comfortable while the ScentBan scent control reduces scent to wildlife.
- The Realtree Xtra camouflage technology ensures that you are invisible.
- RPM composite technology ensures lightweight comfort and durability.
- Insulated for warm comfort in cold weather conditions.
Do not let an ill-fitting inappropriate pair of hunting boots spoil what could have been a great hunting experience. A pair of hunting boots that keep your feet dry and protected with the durability to last for quite a few more such trips is worth the effort and money spent. Those as mentioned above are the best cold weather hunting boots are all made for freezing conditions and will keep your feet dry, comfortable and protected against all the hazards and elements involved in trekking and hunting.
Please rate this article:
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table for the Warmest Hunting Boots
- Hunting as a Sport or Hobby
- Hunting as an Occupation
- Choosing a Hunting Boot
- Hunting Boot Designs and Styles
- Features of the Best Cold Weather Hunting Boots
- The Warmest Hunting Boot Reviews
- Northside Men's Prowler Waterproof Insulated Warm Hunting Boot
- Kamik Men's Hunting Rubber Boot for Cold Weather
- Under Armor Men's UA Brow Tine Comfortable Warm Hunting Boots
- Bogs Men's Classic High Break up Cold Weather Hunting Boots
- Lowa Men's Tibet GTX Warmest Boots for Cold Weather Hunting
- LaCrosse Men's Alphaburly Pro 18 Inch Extreme Weather Hunting Boot
- Rocky Men's Retraction Cold Weather Hunting Boot
- Irish Setter Men's VaprTrek Waterproof Winter Hunting Boot