Whether a Hiking or proper Workboot, comfort, and safety are the two most important features that a boot can offer. Given the hefty price tag on most new work boots, many may look for getting double duty out of their boots.
Hiking work boots look and have many similar features the most work boots, and there is no harm in using a hiking boot as a work boot and for outdoor adventures.
The Difference Between a Hiking Boot and Work Boots
Hiking boots have a quality that far exceeds that of any number of work boots; hiking boots are also lightweight and waterproof. Work boots particularly safety boots have a steel toe cap which adds quite a bit of weight to the boot; Waterproof work boots are not so common unless they are designed for outdoor work.
Some occupations may require a significant amount of walking, running and even climbing. If your employer allows it, you should check out steel toe tennis shoes if you’ll be covering tens of thousands of steps during your day. Hiking boots are much more flexible and work boots and have been engineered to endure long distances, harsh and uneven terrain.
Hiking boots also provide better traction because of their lug outsole typically made from rubber. They also slip-resistant and made to tread through wet, snowy and muddy conditions
Who Will Benefit Most from Hiking Work Boots
Those who have occupations in the fields of Archeology, Forestry, Firefighting, Landscaping, Surveying and other outdoor work including construction will all benefit greatly from a pair of hiking boots.
Hiking work boots also provide insulation and slip resistance in snowy and frigid weather conditions.
Features of a Good Hiking Work Boot
- Uppers – Uppers that are from durable full-grain leather, abrasion-resistant as well as water-resistant, Split grain leather paired with nylon mesh for lightweight breathability or Nubuck leather which is full-grain leather that has been buffed to resemble suede.
Waterproofing – A waterproof membrane will protect you against any liquids but can cause your feet to become sweaty in hot weather; this is where a non-waterproof mesh upper comes in handy.
Insulation – Insulation is quite important especially if you work in cold or freezing weather conditions; synthetic insulation is added giving different degrees of protection against the cold.
Midsole – An EVA midsole is lightweight, less expensive and provides more cushioning, and is available in different densities for firmer support. The Polyurethane midsole is much firmer and more durable but usually only found in backpacking or mountaineering hiking boots. A midsole buffers your feet from shock and provides comfort and stability.
Support – A shank that can be from 3 to 5 mm thick is inserted between the outsole and the midsole to protect the feet and provide stability. A plate is a thin semi-flexible insert between the midsole and outsole below the shank if a shank is included that protects the feet against uneven rocks and roots.
Outsole – Rubber is used on all hiking boot outsoles and additives such as carbon are sometimes used on the outsoles of backpacking or mountaineering boots to make them harder. A harder outsole is more durable but can become slick when you need to work on slippery surfaces. A lug pattern consists of small bumps on the outsole that improve traction. A widely spaced lug offers the best traction and helps to shed mud and debris quickly. A heel brake is when the heel zone is more distinct from the rest of the foot area. The heel brake reduces your chances of sliding during steep descents and improves grip.
Reviews: Best Hiking Boots for Men
- PU coated, suede, leather and mesh uppers with metal hardware for durability.
- Waterproof seam-sealed construction keeps your feet dry at all times.
- The lightweight midsole offers your superior cushioning and all-day comfort with high energy return.
- A durable Omni-grip rubber outsole provides the best grip and traction on multiple surfaces and terrain.
- Available is black and Cordovan squash colors.
- An Oil and Slip resistant non-marking patented wrap-around rubber outsole that goes up over the toe.
- The contoured heel lock provides added stability and support.
- A Dry-lex footwear lining wicks away moisture and keeps your feet dry and fresh all day.
- The meta atomical EVA footbed provides superior comfort and support and is removable enabling you the use of your orthotics.
- Leather and synthetic uppers with a breathable membrane enhances breathability and keeps the boot lightweight.
- Leather and textile uppers are breathable and lightweight.
- A Gore-tex waterproof membrane that is breathable and keeps your feet dry.
- The anti-fatigue comfort technology keeps you comfortable and returns energy to the feet.
- A flexible forefoot construction provides comfort and easy movement.
- The 400 grams of Primaloft insulation will keep you warm in even the coldest weather conditions and snow.
- Available in a Brown/Green and Black color.
- Durable, lightweight and breathable suede and mesh uppers.
- A breathable and waterproof boot construction.
- The compression molded EVA midsole ensures cushioned comfort and support.
- A nylon fork shank gives added support and protection without the weight of a metal shank.
- A multi-directional traction rubber sole for improved grip and traction as well as excellent shock absorption.
- A comfort plus compression resistant anti-microbial contoured sock liners for breathability and all-day comfort.
- Available in a variety of colors.
- Leather, textile and synthetic uppers that are breathable and comfortable.
- A molded EVA Ortholite removable footbed for luxuriously cushioned comfort.
- A high-hiker style boot with lacing system and a protective rubber toe cap.
- Gore-tex waterproof protection.
- A Salomon 4d chassis for enhanced stability and security.
- An updated Salomon Contagrip outsole for the best grip and traction on multiple surfaces.
- The thick rubber sole is oil and slip-resistant.
- The uppers are made from mesh and nubuck leather with a waterproof breathable membrane to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
- An EVA memory foam insole and EVA midsole provide excellent comfort and support.
- An abrasion wrapped bumper toe cap, and steel toe offers maximum protection and durability.
- Electrical hazard protection for when you are working with or around electricity.
- Lightweight, athletic and comfortable enough for all-day wear.
- One of the best options for a Lightweight Steel Toe Work Boot.
The Danner Vicious is a Hiking Style Work Boot that is completely waterproof.
- Lined with breathable and 100% waterproof GORE-TEX, lining membrane.
- Durable full grain leather uppers and a slip-resistant and waterproof rubber outsole for all terrain.
- A Trailguard platform design that is lightweight and heavy duty.
- The Vibram Vicious outsole also offers oil and slip resistance as well as exceptional traction.
The Keen Utility Detroit has a protective steel toe, is waterproof and ideal for an industrial environment or outdoor work.
- Synthetic uppers with an Aluminium Safety toe.
- A breathable waterproof membrane for dry protection.
- The outsole offers high traction as well as oil and slip resistance.
- Electrical hazard safe materials with underfoot protection against punctures.
One of the most comfortable Hiking Boots that are waterproof and ideal for construction or outdoor work.
- Suede Leather uppers with breathable mesh insets.
- A VIBRAM TC5 outsole with Merrell air cushioning in the heel and 5mm of lug depth.
- A Molded Nylon arch shank for support.
- The EVA midsole offers comfortable cushioning and shock absorbency.
- A protective rubber toe cap.
- Waterproof to keep you dry in all terrain.
Hiking boots will protect you from all the danger of the outdoors such as wet, muddy and rocky terrain and they will stay firm on uneven and slippery surfaces.
Hiking boots also protect your ankles and feet against injuries and keep them comfortable for extended hours. For these reasons hiking boots will also make exceptional work boots in the right environment.
The above-listed choices have excellent comfort and protection features which are the two most important characteristics of a good hiking or work boot.
Top Rated Hiking Work Boots Compared
|1||Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus li - Waterproof Hiking Boot||Columbia|
|2||Keen Utility Men's Pittsburgh - Steel Toe Hiking Style Work Boot||Keen Utility|
|3||Timberland Pro Men's Chocurua - Gore-Tex Trail Hiking Boot||Timberland Pro|
|4||Hi-Tec Men's Logan - Breathable Hiking Boot||Hi-Tec|
|5||Salomon Men's Quest - 4D Waterproof Hiking Boot||Salomon|
|6||Nautilus Men's Safety Toe - Electrical Hazard Safety Hiking Boot||Nautilus|
|7||Danner Men's Vicious - Hiking Style Work Boot||Danner|
|8||Keen Men's Utility Detroit - Hiking Style Waterproof Work Boot||Keen|
|9||Merrell Men's Moab 2 - Hiking Work Boot||Merrell|