When you are active on your feet in a demanding occupation, the last thing you need is stiff and heavy work boots wearing you down.
A work boot with a bit more flexibility in the uppers and in the sole can mean much easier movement, more agility and a much more comfortable and adaptable fit.
Advantages of a Flexible Work Boot
Lightweight – because of the flexibility features in a Flexible work boot, this type of work boot will most definitely be very lightweight. In this case, you will be able to move much easier and will not be likely of suffering from foot fatigue. A more lightweight work boot, in turn, tends to be much more breathable and cooling on your feet, than their rigid counterparts. Although for colder conditions a flexible insulated boot can be just as comfortable.
Agility – A flexible work boot will allow for much faster and easier movement, and is great if you need to perform activities in different positions such as crouching, bending down, and climbing.
Cushioning – Cushioning in a flexible boot may be a bit less because cushioning adds a bit more rigidity, although there will still be ample cushioning for comfort and support of your feet.
Safety Featrures – Some safety features such as a steel toe or steel underplate can affect the flexibility of a work boot, and most heavy duty protective work boots tend to be less flexible provide better protection. In a less hazardous work environment, you can opt for a more flexible type work boot. Though there are still safety features that come with your flexible work boots such as a composite toe or plate, and reinforced materials.
Fit – A flexible work boot can offer a much more adaptable and conforming fit, almost like a glove to your feet, moving with the natural motion and curves of your feet.
Some Cons In a Flexible Work Boot – unfortunately a flexible work boot is not suitable for anyone with excessive pronation, a flexible arch or a high or low arch, and is recommended for a neutral arch and individuals who have a normal walking motion and gait function.
Who Will benefit Most from a Flexible Work Boot
I would recommend a Flexible work boot in a work environment where there are less heavy falling object and compression hazards needing the protection of a steel toe, and where you need to move fast and comfortably.
Any occupation requiring plenty of movement and different activist and positions can do well with a flexible work boot. In the military or security fields, a Flexible work boot could be an excellent advantage, with moderate safety features.
Any flexible type of shoe is always more advantageous to individuals who have a normal or neutral arch, and who do not have issues with motion or pronation.
Anyone who suffers from excessive pronation or who have a very low or high arch should rather keep to a more rigid or semi-flexible work boot.
Cushioning will most likely also be less in a flexible work boot, so for high impact work activities, you will need more cushioning and shock absorbency, meaning less flexibility.
Features of a Good Flexible Work Boot
- Safety – A composite or aluminum safety toe is lightweight and more suitable to a flexible work boot. Other features include electrical hazard safe materials, waterproofing, and heat resistance, also a nylon shank and underfoot puncture protection that does not inhibit flexibility.
Materails – Look for soft and supple leathers, fabric, synthetic and mesh materials in the uppers, as well as a lightly cushioned insole, flexible outsole, and midsole. Rubber is the best material when it comes to a durable and flexible outsole. Plastics and non-metals used are likewise more lightweight and flexible.
Slip Resistance – Slip-resistance on wet, greasy, oily and loose gravel surfaces, whichever may be the case in your work environment, is likewise very important.
Comfort – Comfort features may include light cushioning and arch support, as well as smooth and moisture wicking interior linings.
Reviews: The Best Flexible Work Boots
Here are some superb and highly flexible work boot options for you to consider
For those hot weather work conditions I would highly recommend the MAELSTROM Landship, it is lightweight, highly breathable and comes with a flexible design.
This is a Military style work boot that is perfect for anyone in the Service or security industry, it is flexible, yet still offers superb cushioning, shock absorbency and some stability features.
- Leather and fabric uppers with mesh inserts for ventilation and breathability.
- Inside there is a moisture wicking soft lining to keep your feet dry and irritation free.
- The rubber outsole is flexible, slip and oil resistant, along with being pretty tough.
- Inside is a removable shock-absorbing cushion and there are a padded tongue and collar.
- The midsole is lightweight, molded and likewise offers some cushioned comfort and support.
- Constructed using Athletic Cement, construction methods, making this a tough and highly durable work boot.
- Available in a few colors option for you to choose from.
The Danner Stronghold is a highly durable and lightweight work boot with a tough and slip resistant Vibram outsole for your protection in the workplace.
This work boot will be ideal to use in a construction environment on slippery surfaces areas, and where you need that added bit of flexibility.
- A tough and durable Shock absorbing and slip resistant Vibram Outsole.
- This work boot is available in Wider width size options.
- There is likewise an SPE Vibram midsole for flexible cushioning and comfort.
- Soft and lightweight leather uppers with an adjustable lace-up system for a snug and adaptable fit.
The Golden Fox is an absolutely stunning and professional styled, Moc Toe Workboot that can be worn both on and off-site, for the office, and is perfect for construction work sites.
This work boot is as tough as it is stylish and offers superb comfort and flexibility.
- Durable and high qualitysoft and supple full-grain, oiled leather uppers.
- The uppers will soften with time and become more pliable, they are likewise water repellent.
- The wedge sole has a patterned tread that helps to prevent slip and trip accidents, and is highly oil and slip resistant.
- The wedge sole likewise ensures soft and comfortable shock absorbency and slight stability.
- A single density Polyurethane, insole offers light cushioning with an extra padded shock absorbing heel.
- Inside there is a soft and smooth mesh lining to absorb moisture and keep your feet cool.
- Constructed using the very durable Goodyear welt construction methods and the highest quality materials.
The Titan from Timberland Pro is one of their most sought after and popular work boots.
This work boot is tough and comfortable, with a flexible design and additional safety features ideal for an industrial work environment where you are faced with many hazards.
- Safety features include an ASTM rated safety toe, electrical hazard safe materials and a Nylon diffusion shank.
- For comfort, you can look forward to the PowerFit system that offers a flexible and adaptive all day wear fit, along with air-mesh moisture channeling and again treated antibacterial lining.
- The Outlast Adaptive Comfort Footbed offers excellent flexible cushioning along with great temperature regulating characteristics.
- Durable construction with full grain leather uppers, a slip-resistant rubber outsole, and quality construction.
Wolverine is another brand in tough and comfortable work boots that should never be forgotten.
The Floorhand features a soft toe and waterproof uppers with a flexible and highly slip resistant outsole. Overall this is a very lightweight and comfortable work boot, that offer an extra bit of ankle protection with the higher shaft, ideal for working in wet and slippery conditions.
- Soft and supple full grain leather uppers with a Waterproof Membrane.
- The lug rubber outsole is highly slipped resistant and still lightweight and flexible.\Features an easy slip on and off the design with handy pull tabs and a stylish appeal.
- Very lightweight and constructed with durable Cement Construction methods.
Index Table: Top Rated Flexible Work Boots
|1||MAELSTROM Men's Landship - Breathable and Flexible Work Boots||MAELSTROM||97|
|2||Danner Men's Stronghols - Lightweight Flexible Work Boots||Danner||97|
|3||Golden Fox Men's Moc Toe - Comfortable and Flexible Work Boots||Golden Fox||99|
|4||Timberland Pro Men's Titan - Safety ToeFlexible Work Boots||Timberland Pro||98|
|5||Wolverine Men's Floorhand - Flexible Slip On Work Boot||Wolverine||98|