The Best Combat Boots For Men And Women
A soldier is never fully-geared without a reliable pair of military combat boots. Whether it’s under the hot sun on a dessert, or out on wet and muddy terrains, the last thing that should keep military personnel from getting their jobs done are sore, fatigued feet.
That being said, a comfortable and durable pair of combat boots is always worth the investment.
Advantages of Wearing The Right Pair of Combat Boots
Combat boots go way back in the 1600s when they were first worn by ancient Assyrian and Roman soldiers in the form of gladiator boots. It wasn’t until the mid-1800s that the boots started having buckles rather than ties. And by the start of World War I, the typical combat boots we see nowadays were born.
Wearing the right pair of combat boots comes with the following advantages:
- Comfortable to wear and doesn’t tire the feet, even when worn for extended hours
- Provides full protection for the feet
- Indirectly trains the legs and ligaments, allowing for enhanced foot strength
- Supports speed and agility, allowing you to perform better
- Encourages a more natural gait for the feet
Features of The Best Combat Boots
Since their first production in the 1800s, combat boots have become a staple in the tactical world. And over the course of the years, the design, features, and functionality of this type of footwear continued to change.
Essentially, the perfect pair of combat boots have the following features:
- Lightweight and flexible, allowing for use in varying terrains
- Comfortable and breathable making them suitable for long hours of treading
- Waterproof which will keep the feet dry even under extremely wet conditions
- Slip and oil resistant, ensuring stability at all times
- Durable and sturdy uppers, establishing full protection and safety
Reviews: The Top Men’s Combat Boots
Whether you’re an active-duty serviceman or a tactical hobbyist, a good pair of combat boots is an essential part of your gear. That being said, we’ve gathered up the top-ranking combat boots for men you can consider buying on your next tactical shoe hunt.
Bates is among the oldest-known manufacturers of comfortable and durable footwear that was first founded in 1885. For over a century, the brand has manufactured some of the toughest and highest performing boots in the market. Among their best-selling is the Bates Men’s 8” Durashocks.
- The Bates Men’s 8” Durashocks are crafted with a mix of high-quality leather and fabric, giving the pair that nice, sleek look.
- The outsoles of the boots are made of durable lugged rubber, allowing for high traction and stability.
- The insoles are made of removable full-length cushions along with breathable linings that provide all-day comfort and support.
- The pair is guaranteed to be 100% waterproof, making it suitable for wet conditions.
- The Bates Men’s 8” Durashocks are non-metallic, making the pair airport and security-friendly.
Under Armour gained popularity in manufacturing some of the best and most comfortable performance clothing apparel, including footwear. Mostly known for their sneakers, the brand also produces military boots. One of their most sought-after boots is the Under Armour Men’s Valsetz Rts Military and Tactical Boot.
- The Under Armour Men’s Valsetz Rts Military and Tactical Boot is crafted using synthetic leather and textile, giving it that tactical rugged look.
- The outsoles are made of rugged, sturdy rubber that ensures traction and stability.
- The insoles are engineered with full-length Micro G foam that provides extreme comfort.
- The boots feature the brand’s signature UA ClutchFit technology that provides powerful lightweight support.
- The boots are abrasion-resistant, making the pair suitable even for the toughest conditions.
Capping off the list is a pair from sportswear giant Reebok. The Rapid Response RB boasts to be a field-proven pair that features the brand’s advanced comfort technology and extreme durability.
- The uppers are crafted with a mix of suede leather and Cordura, giving the boots a breathable and lightweight feel.
- The outsoles are made with durable mountain-trail rubbers that are designed to be rugged and withstand varying terrain conditions.
- The pair boasts EVA midsoles along with embedded Shock Eliminator heel cushions and Fore Foot F2A footbed for all-day comfort and support.
- The boots are designed with composite toe caps that are resistant to heat, cold, and electric hazards.
- The Rapid Response RB contains no metal hardware, making it airport and security-friendly.
While Oakley is a brand known for its eyewear, the company also manufactures some of the highest-performing boots in the market. Among their best pairs is the Oakley Men’s SI Light Patrol Boots.
- The Oakley Men’s SI Light Patrol Boots are designed with a combination of canvas and suede leather uppers, providing both aesthetics and durability.
- The outsoles are engineered with sturdy, non-slip rubber that makes the boots suitable for uneven and slippery terrains.
- The boots boast EVA midsoles with secondary cushioning that provides extra comfort and impact resistance.
- The pair is designed with nylon-coated, fast-lace loops that keep the boots secured at all times.
- The boots also feature medial eyelets that allow for enhanced airflow and breathability.
Another pair on the list is from the brand Oakley. Lightweight and breathable, the Oakley Men’s Light Assault Boot 2 is a pair that combines function and comfort in one.
- The Oakley Men’s Light Assault Boot 2 is crafted with Cordura uppers, offering all-day breathability.
- The outsoles are made of durable rubber for extreme traction, along with EVA midsoles that provide flexibility and shock-absorption.
- The pair is AR670-1 Compliant, making them fit for army uniform standards.
- The boots feature durable, rugged nylon laces that can withstand tough conditions.
- The boots also feature a lace lock system that ensures that the laces are in place all the time.
RYNO GEAR is a brand that intricately engineers performance, durability, and comfort into products that don’t break the bank. Among their best-selling pair of boots is the Men’s Black Tactical Combat Boots with Coolmax Lining.
- The RYNO GEAR Men’s Black Tactical Combat Boots with Coolmax Lining features an aesthetic crafted with leather and ballistic nylon, giving just the right mix of comfort and durability.
- The outsoles of the boots are made of durable rubber.
- The insoles feature shock-absorbent cushions along with breathable mesh linings and padded collars for extra comfort and breathability.
- The boots are guaranteed to be water and slip-resistant.
- The boots feature the brand’s signature CoolMax lining that wicks moisture away, keeping the feet dry and cool all day.
Merrell is among the top-selling manufacturers of durable and comfortable active footwear. The brand takes pride in producing products that withstand even the toughest outdoor conditions. One of their highest-performing boots is the Merrell Work Moab 2 8″ Tactical Response.
- The Merrell Work Moab 2 8″ Tactical Response is constructed with high-quality leather and fabric that gives it a rugged look minus the unnecessary weight.
- The boots boast Vibram® TC5+ outsoles that deliver reliable and heavy traction, ensuring stability over varying terrains.
- The insoles feature KINETIC FIT™ contoured footbeds that provide arch support and heel cushioning.
- This pair of boots are waterproof and abrasion-resistant.
- The boots feature a lace-up closure system along with non-metallic hardware, making them airport and security-friendly.
A brand that embodies the mindset of preparedness, 5.11 is committed to bringing boots that are engineered for the operational environment. Making it to the list is the 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 1.0, a pair that offers the best fit and comfort while keeping the feet fully protected.
- The 5.11 Tactical Men’s ATAC 1.0 is crafted with a mix of high-quality fabric and leather.
- The boots feature synthetic soles that provide good traction, even on the most slippery surfaces.
- The insoles feature a full-length Ortholite footbed for all-day comfort.
- The pair features an anti-bacterial Drilex lining along with Cordura nylon side panels for enhanced breathability.
- The Tactical Men’s ATAC 1.0 is also waterproof, ensuring that the feet stay dry all day long.
Another on the list is from Under Armour. A pair featuring side zips for easy wearing, the Men’s Stellar boasts both comfort and support, perfect for long extended hours on the battlefield.
- The Under Armour Men’s Stellar is made of quality leather and textile that allow for a soft and light feeling.
- The outsoles are made of leather along with quick-dry and polishable toes.
- The boots feature molded EVA midsoles with thermoplastic urethane shanks for full support and protection.
- The Men’s Stellar is engineered with the brand’s UA Storm technology that repels water.
- The pair is designed with medial side zippers that allow for easy slip-on and take off.
Combining durability and support, Danner is a brand that manufactures some of the most reliable boots in the market. Their Men’s Lookout is a pair that delivers comfort, stability, and breathability all in one look.
- The Danner Men’s Lookout Military and Tactical Boots are made of a mix of full-grain leather and ballistic nylon that give the uppers full coverage minus the weight.
- The outsoles are made of durable rubber that gives good traction and allows for flexible maneuverability.
- The insoles feature patent-pending dual-density footbeds that allow for maximum airflow and heel support.
- The pair is engineered with their signature Danner Dry liner that wicks moisture away, ensuring that the feet stay dry.
- The Danner Men’s Lookout also features their enhanced Danner Comfort System, giving the pair outstanding comfort.
Reviews: The Best Women’s Combat Boots
Skechers is a top brand that offers a wide range of footwear. And for the military servicewomen, the Skechers Work Women’s Brooten is a pair of lace up combat boots fit for the battlefield.
- The Skechers Work Women’s Brooten is crafted with full-grain leather uppers along with heel and side panel leather overlays for breathability.
- The outsoles are engineered with nitrile rubber that provides extreme lugged traction.
- The pair boasts memory-foam cushioned insoles for all-day comfort.
- The Women’s Brooten features a steel toe design that meets ASTM F2413-05 EH safety standards.
- The boots also feature soft fabric linings and a lace-up closure system with metal rings and hooks that allow for a secure fit.
Another on the list is among the top-selling combat boots for women from Under Armour is the Under Armour Women’s Stellar Tactical Boot. The Women’s Stellar features all comfort, durability, aesthetics, and function that can withstand even the toughest work conditions.
- The UA Women’s Stellar is made of a combination of leather and textile, giving the pair a military-standard look without the unwanted weight.
- The outsoles are designed to be low profile and lugged, providing good traction on all surfaces.
- The boots are also made with molded EVA midsoles with reinforced thermoplastic urethane shanks for full support and protection.
- The boots feature the signature UA Storm technology that repels water without compromising breathability.
- The UA Women’s Stellar boasts a minimalistic design along with polishable toes for that clean, slightly lustrous look.
For over a hundred years, Bates has been manufacturing some of the most heavy-duty footwear in the market. Among the brand’s best-selling for women is the Ultra-Lites 8 Inches Tactical Sport Side-Zip Boot.
- The Women’s Ultra-Lites Tactical Sport Side-Zip Boot is made of 70% leather and 30% nylon uppers, making them lightweight and easy to clean.
- The soles are made with durable rubber that provides good traction on all surfaces.
- The insoles are engineered with moisture-wicking GORE-TEX linings, allowing the feet to stay dry all day.
- The boots are slip and oil-resistant, making them suitable for varying workplace conditions.
- The pair boasts the brand’s signature Bates DRYGuard membrane that delivers full waterproof features to the boots.
Making it on the list is another pair of black combat boots from Under Armour. The Under Armour Women’s Stryker is a pair that boasts comfort and style without sacrificing performance and durability.
- The uppers are made with high abrasion textile along with cast polyurethane for protection and durability.
- The outsoles feature sturdy rubber materials that provide heavy traction on varying surfaces.
- The insoles feature charged cushioning that provides responsive comfort and flexibility.
- The boots are designed with recessed lace guards that ensure the laces stay in place all day.
- The pair also contains no metal hardware, making them airport and security-friendly.
Another pair from Bates, the Women’s GX-8 make an excellent pair that can withstand even the wettest and most slippery terrains.
- The Women’s GX-8 is designed with a combination of leather and nylon uppers, giving it the classic look without compromising breathability.
- The soles are made with slip-resistant rubber that provides heavy traction even on the slickest surfaces.
- The insoles feature removable cushion inserts that allow for flexible comfort.
- The boots are also engineered with the breathable GORE-TEX membrane and moisture-wicking linings, making sure that the feet stay dry and comfortable all day.
- The Women’s GX-8 boasts a durable cement construction, making it fit for heavy use minus the added weight.
Capping off the women’s list is a pair from 5.11. The Tactical Women’s A.T.A.C. 8″ Boot is a pair that delivers high performance and professional profile without compromising comfort.
- The Women’s A.T.A.C. features leather uppers that give the pair that timeless slick look that is polishable.
- The outsoles are made of synthetic materials that are engineered to resist oil and slipping.
- The boots feature Phylon midsoles and non-metallic shanks, along with cushioned insoles that provide great support and comfort.
- The pair boasts moisture-wicking linings that keep the feet dry and feeling cool all day.
- The boots also feature a shock mitigation system that offers extra support and stability.
Comparison Table: Combat Boots for Men
|1||Bates Men's Men's 8 - Combat Boot||Bates|
|2||Under Armour Men's Men's Valsetz Rts - Military and Tactical Combat Boot||Under Armour|
|3||Reebok Men's Reebok Work Men's Rapid Response - Military and Tactical Combat Boot||Reebok|
|4||Oakley Men's Men's SI Light Patrol - Hiking Combat Boot||Oakley|
|5||Oakley Men's Men's Light Assualt - Combat Boot||Oakley|
|6||RYNO GEAR Men's Men's Black Tactical Combat Boots with Coolmax Lining - Tactical Combat Boot||RYNO GEAR|
|7||Merrel Men's Merrell Work Moab 2 - Tactical Combat Boot||Merrel|
|8||5.11 Men's Men's ATAC 1.0 12004 - Military and Tactical Combat Boot||5.11|
|9||Under Armour Men's Men's Stellar - Combat Boot||Under Armour|
|10||Danner Men's Men's Lookout - Military and Tactical Combat Boot||Danner|
Comparison Table: Combat Boots For Women
|1||Skechers Women's Women's Brooten - Combat Boot||Skechers|
|2||Under Armour Women's Women's Stellar - Combat Boot||Under Armour|
|3||Bates Women's Women's Ultra-Lites 8 - Combat Boot||Bates|
|4||Under Armour Women's Women's Stryker - Combat Boot||Under Armour|
|5||bates Women's Women's GX-8 Gore-Tex - Combat Boot||bates|
|6||5.11 Women's Women's A.T.A.C. - Combat Boot||5.11|
Which Pair Of Combat Boots Is For You?
Whether you’re an active-duty service member or just a tactical hobbyist, you’re never fully-equipped without a good pair of military combat boots.
And depending on your personal preferences, remember that a reliable pair will walk you through the toughest terrains and battlefields with ease.
That being said, if you’re looking for the next perfect fit, don’t hesitate to check out our narrowed list of the best combat boots for men and women.
Which ones do you think are the best combat boots for men or women?